Saturday, October 8, 2016

Nature's Wish - Easy Fall Masculine Card



The Challenge of Making Masculine Cards

Masculine cards are the ones that I struggle the most to make -- how about you? I used to think it was because I gravitate towards really feminine images. But I was thinking about this again recently, and realized that it's really because it's so hard to find good masculine stamp sets. That is why, when I saw the "Nature's Wish" stamp set in the new Close to My Heart Annual Inspirations catalogue, I snatched it right up.


Not only does Nature's Wish feature gorgeous images that are perfect for this time of year, but the sayings are geared towards men in particular. I'm blessed to have some really amazing men in my life, and they deserve encouragement and appreciation as much as the women, don't they?

How I Made My Card


Today I finally got a chance to play with this beautiful stamp set. There were so many ideas running through my head for how to use it, but I couldn't seem to settle on one. Eventually, I pulled out my "Wishes" card sketch book that I picked up last summer, and found a layout right away to work with.



What I love about this book is that it doesn't just show you card sketches. For each sketch, it also includes the measurements of the necessary pieces. So I don't have to do math, which is something my brain always struggles a little with!



In putting the card together, I first cut out the background pieces according to the measurements in the book. Then I embossed the New England Ivy cardstock square with an Argyle pattern, and sanded it a bit with a sanding block. Because this cardstock has a white core, it's really easy to distress!

Next I stamped the deer on white cardstock and colored it with alcohol markers. The image is so detailed it really just needed a little shading with some different browns.

I stamped the trees on Saffron patterned paper, and just left them as is so the deer would stand out against them.  Then I stamped the deer again over the patterned paper circles, and applied the colored version over it with foam tape. This way the deer lines up right with the stamped grass.

Finally, I stamped the sentiment in black, and then embellished with a little stitched grosgrain and a few enamel dots.

And voila -- a great masculine card with a Fall feel to it that wasn't hard at all to put together!

Materials Used

I used these materials to make my card:

(Close to My Heart)
  • Nature's Wish stamp set
  • Enchantment Fundamentals patterned papers - Saffron, New England Ivy
  • Enchantment Cardstock - White Daisy, New England Ivy, Peacock
  • Enchantment Ribbon Pack - Peacock stitched grosgrain
(Other)
  • Pumpkin Spice enamel dots by Simple Stories
  • Memento Tuxedo Black ink

Challenge Shares

I'm sharing my card for these challenges today:

Allsorts Challenge - Colors of Autumn
Cardz 4 Guyz - Nature
Colour Crazy Craft Challenge - Anything that is hand-colored
Crafty Friends - Challenge 42 - Autumn Colors
Robyn's Fetish - Nature
Simply Papercrafts - Anything Goes
Sweet Stampin' - Autumn

What Do You Think?

Please leave me a comment and let me know! :-)





15 comments :

  1. A super creation with a great design and perfect for a masculine card, many thanks for sharing your creativity with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just perfect. I like the wishes book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card for male!
    Thank you for sharing over at Allsorts.

    Welcome to join in my Candy & Challenge, theme is birthday with numbers;-))m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mervi! I'll check out your challenge, too. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Mervi! I'll check out your challenge, too. :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful card! I just love it! I love how you used the circles! Fabulous masculine card! Thanks for sharing it with us at Cardz 4 Guyz! Cyndi, DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cyndi -- the Wishes pattern book made it very easy to put this together!

      Delete
  5. I love the set of stamps, lots of potential there. If you struggle making masculine cards, may I suggest you become a follower of Cardz 4 Guyz. You can also see lots of ideas on Pinterest on Male cards. I love your card, a great design, love the deer. Thanks for playing along at Cardz 4 Guyz. Caz DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caz -- I will definitely be playing along more at Cardz 4 Guyz!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for joining Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great card love the design . Thank you for joining us at The Colour Crazy Challenge Helen DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding a little extra sunshine to my day!