Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Happy Little Critters for Hospice of St. Francis Card Drive



Happy Wednesday, crafty friends! I hope you're enjoying a beautiful Fall day, and that you get to spend at least a few minutes being creative today.

Unfortunately I'm battling a really nasty cold, so my creative energy is lagging. However, I did manage to pull together one card today that I wanted to share with you. Isn't this a happy card? That's what I was going for!

Falliday Fest Card Drives for a Cause

If you're a fan of Splitcoast Stampers -- the world's largest online forum for paper crafters --, then you know that they're hosting the first-ever Falliday Fest this month. Each day there are new challenges, tutorials, and prizes you can win for participating. My favorite part of this event, though, is that they've also incorporated several card drives for a cause. The first of these is a drive to collect birthday cards for the patients of Hospice of St. Francis.

Each day of life is a gift to be celebrated, and the people at Hospice of St. Francis help their terminally ill patients and those patients' families to do just that. One of the wonderful ways they do this is by making a proper fuss over birthdays, but they need handmade birthday cards from crafters like us to help them do that. My card share today was made to help with this.

How I Made This Card

In thinking about how to make this card, I decided to go with colors and images that, to me, convey happiness and celebration. I spent a good long time digging through my stash, but finally settled on these from the Jeepers Creepers collection. Although I know they were designed for Halloween crafts, the playful colors and silly critters just make me smile wide every time. That kind of smile is definitely what I want to pass along to one of the patients at Hospice of St. Francis.

To make this card, I started with this week's sketch by Tuesday Morning Sketches. Their sketches are classic, and I can always count on them to help me get started in my crafting!



For the cardstock layers, I used the Lagoon and Pansy cardstocks from the Jeepers Creepers cardstock pack. I love how these colors look together! I embossed the Pansy cardstock with a swirl pattern. Because the cardstock is white core, I sanded it a little, too, to let some of the white show through.

Next I cut the word "happy" from my white cardstock using a little word die by Sizzix, and then layered the whole piece over the Lagoon cardstock. To make the word readable, I glued the little bits that were cut out from the letter centers back in place.

Finally, I fussy cut some of the critters from the reverse side of the googly eye paper that I used here, and then applied them to the white piece with foam tape so that they stand out. These critters are just so cheery, with their big smiles and gap-tooth grins! I really hope they bring a big smile to the face of the recipient of this card.

Materials Used

I used these materials to make today's card:

  • Jeepers Creepers papers by Close To My Heart
  • Lagoon and Pansy colored cardstocks
  • Swirl embossing folder by Cuttlebug
  • Happy word die by Sizzix (part of a bigger set that I can't remember the name of!)
  • Bonding Memories glue
  • Foam tape
  • Black glitter tape
  • Sanding block

Challenge Shares

I'm sharing my card today for these challenges:



What Do You Think?

Please leave a comment and let me know! :-)




17 comments :

  1. Adorable card! Thank you for joining us at Tuesday Morning Sketches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! It's always a joy to use your beautiful sketches.

      Delete
  2. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Sunny Day Crafting, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! Playing was enough for me. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Amy! Playing was enough for me. :-)

      Delete
  3. DeeDee this is adorable. I think your colors are cheery and I'm sure the patients will love it. A card drive is a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donna! Yes, I think we all need to do our part with things like card drives -- share the love! :-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for joining us at Sunny Day Crafting. Hope you'll come back again next week!
    ~DT Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janis -- I'll definitely be back next week! :-)

      Delete
  5. This is so cute! Adorable little monsters!
    Thanks for playing along this week at Tuesday Morning Sketches!!
    Debbie
    Debbie's Dash of This and That

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! I love playing at Tuesday Morning Sketches!

      Delete
  6. Love your card! Those are some seriously adorable critters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Chris! Aren't they adorable?!?

      Delete
  7. Great card - thanks for sharing it with us at Crafting from the Heart and good luck!

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just love this.The little monsters are so cute.This fun card would certainly raise a smile or two.Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments.Hope to see you again next week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovey card and cute mosters. I love the good course you have crafted for too. Thank you for joining us at Fairytale Challenge. Bianca XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. your Little Monsters make me smile. thanks for showing your Card for the fairytale challenge. hugs mamapia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding a little extra sunshine to my day!