Friday, October 7, 2016

Fall Pop Up Gift Card Holder


Life just doesn't ever seem to slow down, does it? I thought that once I got my kids back in school, I could settle back into work and play. Not so much! If anything, I'm busier than I've ever been, and finding time to play is next to impossible. But I did grab a little craft time yesterday, and here's what I' made -- a pop up gift card holder!

It looks like just a simple card from the outside. But here's how it looks when you open it:


The part holding the gift card pops up. It also holds the gift card securely in place so that even when eager people shake their cards to see what's inside, nothing falls out. The gift card stays a surprise until they open the card!

Design & Materials Used

My friend Kathy D. is hosting the October Inspirational Card Challenge over at Scrapbook.com this month, and one of the challenges is to make a gift card holder. There's also a separate October Card Sketch Challenge available to play with, including this sketch from Create with Connie and Mary. These two challenges were the inspiration for my project.

To make this pop up gift card holder, I used papers from the new "Flea Market" paper collection by Doodlebug Designs. I have to say, I love everything that company puts out -- it's all so adorable!

The stamped images are from the "Fall is in the Air" set by Echo Park, which is also stinking cute. I stamped the images in Walnut Distress ink, and then colored them a bit with alcohol markers. The images are pretty solid, so there wasn't much room for coloring, but I had to add some at least! 

After coloring, I cut out the stamped banner image, and then set the owl on with some foam tape so he looks like he's sitting on it. (There's foam tape between some of the other layers as well, because I just love dimension in cards!) Last but not least, I stamped a sentiment from the same stamp set in black Versafine ink, and embellished with just a couple of enamel gems.

Challenge Shares

I'm sharing my card for these challenges today:

October Inspirational Card Challenge - Make a gift card holder
October Card Sketch Challenge - Layout used for the front of the card
* Cardz 4 Galz - Fall Colors
* Creative Knockouts - Thankful Thoughts
* Cute Card Thursday - Anything Goes
* If You Give a Crafter a Cookie - Cookie Challenge #54/Fall photo inspiration
* Crafting by Designs - October Anything Goes

What Do You Think?

Please leave a comment and let me know! :-)


9 comments :

  1. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the simple tutorial for this gift card holder! I love the simplicity of how it's created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking, Carol! I hope the tutorial comes in handy. :-)

      Delete
  3. Fab card, i love the layout! Thanks for joining in our Anything Goes challenge at Crafting by Designs this month! mo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maureen! I'll definitely be back to play again.

      Delete
  4. Adorable card!! Thanks so much for participating in our IF YOU GIVE A CRAFTER A COOKIE... challenge!!! Can’t wait to see you participate again in our next challenge!! Have a great crafty day!!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deanne! I love the challenge and look forward to playing the next one.

      Delete
  5. wow stunning make , thanks so much for sharing in If you give a crafter a cookie DT Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding a little extra sunshine to my day!