Saturday, October 15, 2016

Fall Cardmaking With Found Treasures

Fall Mice Handmade Card by Deedee Anderson


I've been digging deep into my craft supplies stash! Check out the fun goodies I found to make today's card.

The Challenge of Tiny Spaces

Unlike many crafters, I don't have a dedicated craft room. Instead I  have a craft corner -- a little nook in our living/dining area where I store my supplies. Living in a tiny house with four other adult-sized people and three pets means there isn't space for my craft supplies to overflow their designated spot. However, that doesn't mean they're always organized!

If anything, having a tiny space to work with means I've typically shoved my craft supplies in where I could fit them, and not necessarily where it makes the most sense for them to go. As a result, I've forgotten about or lost a lot of what I have. Until recently, that is!

This year I decided it was time to break the cycle of forgetting and losing supplies. To do this, I totally overhauled my tiny space. (If you're interested, you can read about the tools that I used to do this over at my paper craft instruction website -- Paper Craft Romance.) In the process, I found so many supplies -- some of which I've never even used!

Found Treasures

My favorite found treasure from reorganizing my craft area is the lovely harvest pumpkins embossing folder that I used on today's card. I snagged this folder at a seasonal clearance sale a few years ago, and then totally forgot I had it! This card is actually the first project I've ever used it on.

Fall Mice Handmade Card by Deedee Anderson

Another treasure I'm thankful to have found is this sweet Fall mice image by Laurie Furnell. I printed it along with several of Laurie's other images a few years back, and again, lost track of it before using it. Since most of Laurie's digis have been discontinued, I was glad not only to find this one, but for the reminder that I have many of her digi files that I can print anytime. Clearly, reorganizing my craft space was a good thing!

How I Made This Card

To make today's card, I started with a white card base. White makes such an awesome base color, because anything you layer onto it shows up in high contrast! Next I embossed a layer of Tangerine cardstock with my first found treasure -- the harvest pumpkins embossing folder. Then I sanded the embossing a bit with a sanding block so that some of the white core of the cardstock would show.

For the card layout, I used this week's sketch by Mojo Monday. Their sketches are always so much fun to play with! I layered together a few different papers here according to the sketch, including some Fern and Kraft cardstock and patterned papers from the Swan Lake collection by Close To My Heart. Then I fussy cut the sweet mice image and applied it with foam tape. Although it doesn't show well in the photo, I glittered up the heart and bow on the girl mouse with my Wink of Stella brush, too. Finally, I punched a couple holes in the side of the Kraft cardstock, and tied a little strand of ribbon through to finish off the card.

Materials Used

I used these materials to make this card:

Challenge Shares

I'm sharing my card for these challenges today:

What Do You Think?

Please leave a comment and let me know. Thanks for reading! :-)


12 comments :

  1. What a wonderful card, Deedee! So many great layers and colors! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and i have that embossing folder too! this is super cute!
    i agree with nancy... so many great layers and colors.
    november is on it's way - uh oh!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stef! I love this folder for this time of year -- just wish I'd been able to use it sooner! I know, right -- November?!?!?

      Delete
  3. I love Laurie's images, and what a great find this was! I love all your layers and great design! I have a dedicated room and I'm fairly organized, but yesterday I spent a solid hour looking for my eyelet setter. After I stopped looking for it, I spotted it on my craft table in a basket - right under my nose! DUH! LOL I love finding items I'd forgotten about because they inspire me to create instantly when I find them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carol! LOL -- I've done that so many times -- searching high and low only to find it right there.

      Did you know Laurie is selling again on Etsy? Not all of her designs are there, but there's some really fun ones. https://www.etsy.com/shop/lauriefurnelldesigns?ref=l2-shopheader-name

      Delete
  4. Love your card, Deedee, but even more I love your story about getting the tiny craft space organized. I have a craft room and it's relatively organized, but I still lose things and find them a year or more later! I hate to admit how many "have to have" things have come home only to get lost. But then, I get to enjoy the found treasures when they surface again. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, NC! Yes, I think we all suffer from this. Some would say we just have too much "stuff" but it does all get used, when we can find it -- LOL! And then it's like Christmas, isn't it? Little gifts hidden all over the craft space!

      Delete
  5. Hi there, Deedee! Your card is adorable - what a treat to find not only that gorgeous embossing folder but also the cute image! I've been organizing my craft supplies too and I always seem to uncover something I've forgotten about! I am lucky enough to have a dedicated craftroom now but it wasn't long ago that I crafted on our dining room table!

    I came off my blog break so I could support The Hop to Stop for domestic violence awareness but also wanted to pop in and see what you've been making! I'm so glad I did!

    I'll be back to regular blogging next week! The Cat Lovers Hop starts on the 24th so you know I can't miss it!

    P.S. I used my awesome Simon card kit on one of my cards - so far I've only used the stamp set so I've got lots more to play with! You can see my card here (if you like):

    http://ktdesigns2013.blogspot.ca/2016/10/the-hop-to-stop-domestic-violence.html

    Thanks again for this awesome candy prize! Wishing you a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this such a lovely card and image thanks for sharing at crafty catz this week and good luck in the draw. AuntySue DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Deedee, hope you are doing well!
    Thanks for playing in our 'Halloween or Autumn' Challenge #127!
    Sandi ♥
    DT Coordinator for Pattie's Creations Challenge!
    and Pattie's shop
    Home of Pattieboop and Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Deedee! Long time no 'talk to'. I hope you and your family are doing well. All my best as we head into the final months of the year.

    I just love this sweet card. Those mice are adorable and the embossing is very cool as well.

    Thanks so much for entering your creation into our latest challenge over at Pattie's Creations. Good luck in the draw.

    ☺Lisa D.
    DT Member for Pattie's Creations Challenge!
    Décosse’s Dynamite Doodles--My Personal Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding a little extra sunshine to my day!