Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Handmade Birthday Cards + BLOG CANDY!



Playing with New Toys from Simon Says Stamp
One of the main reasons that I started stamping was to be able to make and give special, handmade birthday cards to loved ones. The Simon Says Stamp September Card Kit sure made that easy for me this weekend!

This is the first time that I've bought a Card of the Month Kit from Simon Says Stamp.  However, because the theme was birthdays, and I make and give these cards most often, I thought I'd give it a go. I'm so glad that I did! This kit included everything except the ink needed to make handmade birthday cards. Also, the amount of supplies included are going to last me a while! I made these three cards today, and haven't put a dent in the materials. Some of them I haven't even opened yet! Here's everything that came in the kit:





There's cardstock, patterned papers from the Doodlebug "Kitten Smitten" collection, a mini Washi tape runner, one bottle of Nuvo Crystal Drops, one bottle of Nuvo Glitter Drops, a pack of puffy stickers from My Minds Eye, and of course, stamps. The stamp set -- "It's No Secret" -- is a Simon Says Stamp exclusive. It was designed to be used with these fun scratch-off stickers from Inky Antics, which were also included. You layer a sticker over an image, and then the recipient can scratch it off to see what's underneath, just like with a lotto scratcher card. What a fun way to add a bit of surprise to handmade birthday cards! Although I haven't used any of these stickers yet, I look forward to it!


Simon Says Stamp also included a $5 off $5 or more coupon, and a lollipop. with my order. How sweet (no pun intended) is that?





OK, you get the idea that I'm excited to have this new kit to play with -- ha ha! On to the cards that I made!





To make this first card, I cut small circles in the front of the card base with Scalloped Circle dies by Spellbinders. Then I lined the inside of the card with some of the patterned paper. I stamped the circle images using YoYo Yellow, Pixie Pink, and Green Galore inks by Stampin' Up! (all probably retired by now, but the colors matched the papers) on Neenah Solar White cardstock. I punched out the stamped images with a circle hand punch, and stuck them onto the patterned paper. This way when the recipient opens the card, the shapes are visible on the inside, too. I stamped sentiments on top of the colored circles, as well as one on the front of the card. Then I used the Nuvo Crystal Drops to add accents around the scalloped circles, and the Nuvo Glitter Drops to go over the stamped arrows. It's simple, but fun, I think.





For the second card, I layered some of the black cardstock onto a light yellow card base. Then I simply cut and attached strips of different lengths from some of the papers included in the kit. I stamped the greeting in white pigment ink on the black matte, and then 'punctuated' a couple of the paper strips with puffy stickers. A balloon image was a must, and I couldn't resist drawing a little smiley face on it with a black gel pen. :-)





Finally, I made this card using elements from the card kit along with some quick but cute die cuts that I made with my Cricut Explore. This darling bunny and the cute little tag are both available in Cricut's Design Space, and I think they go perfectly with this card kit! The bunny needed a balloon to hold, and the balloon needed some polka dots, so I added those with the Nuvo Crytal Dots. The pom-pom on the bunny's hat and the dots and heart on the tag are also made with these.

Three fun new cards for my handmade birthday cards stash -- hooray!

Blog Candy!
So does this kit look like fun to you? Well it's a good thing, then, that I bought TWO! And the second one, my dear crafty friends, will go to one of you!

That's right, I'm offering my first-ever BLOG CANDY! 

All you have to do to enter to win this kit is leave a comment on this post. Feel free to spread the word, but don't forget to comment yourself, OK? You have until Sunday night, September 11th, to comment. I'll draw a winner next Monday, September 12th, using the random number generator at random.org. Numbers will be assigned to comments in the order they were received. Please be sure to check back to see if you've won.

Challenges Entered

I'm sharing my bunny card for these challenges today:

* Through the Craft Room Door -- "Anything Goes"

* Crafting When We Can -- "Happy Birthday"

* Craft for the Craic -- Birthday Balloons Inspiration Photo

* Crafting from the Heart -- "Anything Goes"

* A Bit More Time to Craft -- "Anything Goes"


10 comments :

  1. Squeeeeeeeeeee! OMGoodness, Deedee! For your first candy, it's an AWESOME one! I can't even tell you how long I've been wanting a Simon Says Stamp kit! I drool over them every month! I watch all their videos and enter all of the giveaways but my lucky day has not arrived yet! Maybe this will be it! This birthday kit looks fabulous! I remember it well! And your cards are all so adorable! I love all 3! The bunny is such a cutie! I just love the papers in this kit, and the stickers, and the stamps! And I think those scratch-offs will be so fun! Also been wanting to try those Nuvo Drops! OMGoodness, I love it all! Would be completely over the moon to win it! Thank you, Deedee, for your generosity and for the wonderful opportunity! Really hoping to see my name on your Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty, you are SO adorable! I'm just grinning ear to ear from your excitement! :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow!! What a generous blog candy!! Those kits look amazing. Your cards are so cute and sure to bring a smile to the recipients. Thanks for the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! The kit is amazing -- I was truly blown away by everything that came with it!

      Delete
  3. WOW! that looks an awesome kit. You've made some beautiful cards from them. I just noticed that you have offered a duplicate kit you bought as Candy! What a wonderful opportunity for someone.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faith! That someone could be you. ;-)

      Delete
  4. What a fun way to make birthday cards - by using scratch-offs!! How clever and how cute are your cards! I never bought a card kit before, so thanks for your thoughts on the one you bought. I've never been disappointed with anything I bought from SSS, so bravo! Congrats on the new website too - have to go over and check it out now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Carol! I agree -- never had a bad experience with SSS. Love their products, and their customer service is top notch, too! Let me know what you think of the new site. It's still in progress, but coming along. :-)

      Delete
  5. Lovely cards Deedee, I might have to go shopping!!
    Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Through The Craft Room Door this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

    Hugs,
    Sandra
    TTCRD DT
    Cards and Creativity {My Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful birthday cards. I love all the different elements and colours you used from the kit. You inspire me to get a kit someday!
    Thanks for joining us over at Craft for the Craic.
    Eithne :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding a little extra sunshine to my day!