Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Great Outdoors in a Pocket Letter



Pocket Letters

My New Paper Craft Hobby

Recently I discovered 'pocket letters'. Have you tried your hand at those? Basically they are pocket scrapbook pages, like those made with Project Life cards.

To make a pocket letter, you take a plastic three-hole-punched baseball card holder sheet, and fill the front of pockets with ATC sized decorated cards. Then you tuck little bits and bobs of crafting goodies into the back of each pocket. So die cuts, stickers, a length of ribbon, buttons, washi samples, etc. -- nothing pricey, and really the idea is to use your existing stash to show your partner the kinds of supplies you like to use, *not* to spend money! Of course, one very essential element of every good pocket letter is a personal note to your trade partner, as part of the point of the exchange is to get to know your friends and other new crafters better. Once finished, you mail the whole thing off to a friend, and they send one back to you. How fun!

Camping Pocket Letter



This pocket letter is one that I just sent off for a Camping themed exchange to a pal in Washington. (Sorry the picture is not the best -- I only remembered to snap it with my phone as I was about to mail it out!) My family loves to camp, so this was especially fun to make.

To make this pocket letter, I used a variety of papers, stamps, and clipart. I even added some bits that I cut out of magazines! In the back pockets I tucked a variety of stickers, wooden tags, woodland animal washi samples, buttons and a few metal charms that fit the theme. I also added a couple of Crystal Light drink mix packets (great for summer!) and a recipe for making 'Banana Boats' over the campfire. Last but not least, I added the personal note to my trade partner. Hopefully she enjoys this!

Why Make Pocket Letters?

Pocket letters make fun little gifts. Making and trading them is a great way to trade inspiration with other crafters, and maybe discover craft goodies that you haven't already tried. More importantly, they're a wonderful way to get to know your existing friends better, and to make new friends!

My friend Stephanie and I have been trading pocket letters back and forth, for example, even though we've known each other for years. Already I've learned so many new things about her!

Where to Find a Pocket Letter Partner

If you're looking for a swap partner, you can find one by joining the dedicated site at www.pocketletterpals.com. There are members from all over the world, so no matter where you are, you can find a partner. Tons of fun!

For More Information About Pocket Letters

You can find a really comprehensive tutorial about how to make and trade pocket letters on my paper craft instruction site -- Paper Craft Romance.

Materials Used

I used these materials to make this pocket letter:


  • Plastic baseball trading card holder sheet
  • "Happy Trails Camper" digi set by Doodle Pantry
  • "Grin Again Camp" digi set by DJ Inkers
  •  Bear in the Woods" and "Father's Day/Gone Fishing" digis by MyClipartStore
  • Campfire Digital Clipart by Trish Yochum Designs
  • "Love You S'more" stamp set by Lawn Fawn
  • Retired hiking stamp set by My Favorite Things
  • Die cut maple leaves (received as an RAK)
  • Mini buttons by Favorite Findings
  • Pathfinders Accents by Close To My Heart (retired)
  • Papers from the Green Stack by DCWV, along with scraps from my stash
  • Twine
  • Copic markers
  • Foam dimensional tape

Challenge Shares

I'm sharing my pocket letter today for these challenges:

* Robyn's Fetish -- Anything but a card

* A Bit More Time to Craft -- Anything goes

* Doodle Pantry "Ants in My Pantry" Challenge  -- Anything goes + digital images

What Do You Think?

Leave me a comment and let me know! :-)



9 comments :

  1. This looks like a great way to create mini ATC's and share them as gifts! The pockets are really detailed for as tiny as they are! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so much fun!! I'm finding they are becoming slightly addicting. :)I just watched a YouTube video on a PL addition last night. This one is so adorable and detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to make Pocket Letters too! This is adorable, Deedee! I love all the cute critters! Awesome theme as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such GREAT cards/ATC's with lots of details. Creative too.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore pocket letters and this one is fantastic, Deedee! What adorable critters you've chosen. I'd love to be in a pocket letter exchange with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never did a pocket letter before, but think they are so cool!! I love how yours turned out Deedee and I love the camping theme. I've never had banana boats before, but we always loved making mountain pies. I might have to check out that link because it sounds like so much fun! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't done pocket letters, but I have done some PL pages. You totally ROCKED the pocket letters! Great job! Thanks for joining us at the Robyn's Fetish Challenge!

    ~Ashley
    Robyn's Fetish DT member

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is sooo cool, thanks for sharing! Thanks for joining us for Doodle Pantry's AIMPDC #19 hope to see you again, good luck! Dawn Doodle Pantry DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding a little extra sunshine to my day!