Monday, July 18, 2016

Apples? Yes, Please!



Card Inspired by Gravenstein Apples

The challenge this month over at the Imagine That (TM) Creative Playground blog is to make a shaped or specially folded card. As soon as I saw this, I knew exactly what I wanted to make!

First, a little background: one of the things that my family looks forward to every summer is the Gravenstein apple harvest. Gravensteins are a special sort of apples that only grow in a few areas around the world, including here. Their flavor is unique, just the perfect blend between sweet and tart. Moreover, they hold a special place in my heart, because my Great Grandma Berkie, who taught me to bake, only ever used this sort of apple.

Gravensteins are only available for a couple of weeks in the summer, and we eagerly start watching for them in July. Yesterday while making an early morning run for coffee, my hubby discovered they were finally for sale at a roadside stand.  Hooray! We got a box, and I promptly baked up a pie. Yum!

So, yes, an apple-shaped card is exactly what I knew I wanted to make!

How I Made This Card

To make this card, I started with a time-saving apple card template by the Cutting Cafe. This made it really easy to get the shape of the card and the leaf attachment correct. I cut both from patterned paper, and then cut a card base from plain white cardstock.

Next, I colored up this sweet image from the "Maggie's Apples" digi set by Imagine That to add to the card front. How cute is that little cow??? Just looking at her  -- not to mention her apples -- makes me smile!

Materials Used

I used these materials to make this card:

  • "Maggie's Apples" digi set by Imagine That
  • Apple-shaped card template by the Cutting Cafe
  • Wild Raspberry designer papers by K&Company
  • Neenah white cardstock
  • Copic markers
  • Ribbon by Recollections at Michael's Crafts ($1.50 bins find!)
  • Foam dimensional tape

What Do You Think?

Please leave me a comment and let me know! :-)


11 comments :

  1. Mmmmm! My favorites are Macouns. They are the best caramel apple apples ever! Sweet card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know of the apples, but what a lovely story and inspiration. Love the image so perfect for the apple.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deedee so nice to see you on this site. Love your card and thanks for the tip regarding the Cutting Café.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet, sweet, sweet!! :) I've never heard of those kind of apples, they must be a real treasure :) Lucky you, apple pie sounds DELISH right now. Your coloring is so awesome Deedee! Love the shape and papers too. Thanks so much for entering our Shaped Card / fancy fold challenge at Imagine That Creative Playground!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS.... this would also fit our SUMMERTIME FUN challenge over in our FB group if you'd like to enter! https://www.facebook.com/groups/imaginethatdigis/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! What a great story. It sounds like your family has some great memories. Thanks for joining the challenge at Imagine That!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, your story about Gravensteins brought back childhood memories, Deedee. They were favorites of my mother and, while she never baked pies of any kind, we did get some great apple cobblers and baked apples. Of course, we ate them on their own, too. I've not seen any in many years so I'm envying you and your family right now. I love your card and that adorable little cow with her bushel of apples.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of Gravenstein apples, so perhaps they're local to your area? They sound delicious, and isn't it amazing how we treasure those precious memories around something as simple as an apple? Love this cute apple card with that darling cow image!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard about Gravensteins, they sound delicious! My husband's grandmother always bake apple pies using Summer Rambo's. So we always watched for them to come in as they have a short season too. Then Honeycrisp's were developed and we loved them too, so I started mixing the Summer Rambo's and Honeycrisp's in my apple pie. Delicious! I love to read and hear about traditions. Sadly my husband passed on at a to yearly age, but I will make an apple pie in honor of him this year for the first time since he passed. Your card is adorable Deedee! I love that large apple shaped card from the Cutting Cafe. The digi cow is delightful with his basket of apples. Just an adorable card all the way around and thanks for the memories and teaching me about the apples. I am guessing they aren't available in my area. Pooh! lol Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how sweet!!! Thanks so much for participating in our CREATIVE PLAYGROUND challenge!!! Can’t wait to see you participate again in our next challenge!! Have a great crafty day!!!
    Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding a little extra sunshine to my day!